October 19 – 21, 2023
EMERGE is an annual program that exposes a cohort of diverse students from across the nation to Michigan Engineering doctoral programs by hosting a FREE 3-day visit to the campus in Ann Arbor, MI.
Participants will learn what it takes to be a successful Michigan Engineering doctoral student and future leader in their discipline by:
- Learning about the Michigan Engineering full-funding model;
- Attending activities in their department(s) of interest that will best prepare them to navigate the admissions process;
- Networking with diverse deans, faculty, staff, students, postdoctoral fellows, and alumni;
- Touring world-class facilities across the broader UM campus; and
- Learning more about Michigan Engineering vision (e.g. equity-centered engineering) and values to help them assess alignment with their personal and professional goals.
- Have an interest in pursuing a Ph.D. degree in engineering.
- Junior standing or greater with desire to apply for Fall 2024 or Fall 2025 admission. Prospective students who have graduated with a bachelor’s or master’s degree are also welcome to apply.
- Have a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher.
- Are U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or undocumented students with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA).
- Meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Attended a minority-serving institution (link);
- Come from an educational, cultural, or geographic background that is underrepresented in graduate study in their discipline in the United States or at the University of Michigan;
- Have demonstrated a sustained commitment to diversity in the academic, professional, or civic realm through their work experience, volunteer engagement, or leadership of student or community organizations. By commitment to diversity, we mean efforts in the U.S. to reduce social, educational, or economic disparities based on race, ethnicity, or gender, or to improve race relations in the U.S.;
- Have experienced financial hardship as a result of family economic circumstances;
- Are first-generation U.S. citizens or are the first generation in their families to graduate from a four-year college.
A completed application includes:
- Application form
- Unofficial transcript
- Personal Statement (optional)
- Applicants will be notified of their application status on Monday, October 2, 2023;
- Selected applicants will subsequently receive details about program schedule and travel accommodations.
FINAL Deadline Extension: Friday, September 22, 2023, 5:00PM EDT.